Design Inspiration: Dangerdust

Sunday 8 June 2014

This was from awhile back, but I thought it would be cool to share regardless.

Chalkboard art has been all the rage these past few years as there has been a rise and renewed interest in the art of handlettering. Usually you would see delicate scripts, funky chicken scratch words or vintage inspired lettering. Today I bring you the marvellous works of Dangerdust, a duo from the Columbus College of Art and Design that has been anonymously invading classrooms and providing beautiful works to aspire to, on chalkboard tables.





I was amazed when I first laid eyes on the work they've done. It's not even the typography that gets to me — it's the mastery of the medium like none other that I have seen before. There is a whole other level of expertise with chalk evident here, especially in the first picture I showed. The subtle layering of the different chalk colours to achieve a complexity of blended colours and opacity was just... wow. I love making a good "space" picture but I would fathom that using chalk to make that would be even harder than Photoshop. 

If you want more of their typographic and chalkboard art goodness, you can always follow them on Instagram :)

No comments:

Post a Comment